It’s increasingly common for people on Facebook to play Zynga games. These games always push you to invite others to join you to progress in the game. Many people create fake accounts to play these games so they won’t be spamming their real friends with game status messages. Thus the creation of fake accounts is becoming increasingly popular on all of social media.
There has been strong research on the topics of fake ids and many conclusions have been derived. Some of the findings are:
- Average Friends: It’s been determined that a real person has an average of 130 friends while most of the fake profiles have a lot of friends with an average of 726 with most of them being just Facebook friends.
- Gender: About 40% of the total real profiles on Facebook are of females while up to 97% of the fake profiles are of females giving us interesting ideas about why people create these profiles.
- Interested In: This has been a very helpful feature for Facebook users to identify which gender a girl/boy is interested in. It’s becoming increasingly popular to see females listing their interests as ‘male and female’ with about 58% of the total fake profiles doing this while in reality only 6% of the real Facebook users are that way. This leads us to believe that people pose as girls to talk to other girls if they are not able to talk to girls in real life.
- Status Updates: Many people running fake profiles don’t even know any of their friends in real life so how can they update the status on which their friends can comment. Most of the fake ids just update lame statuses like ‘getting bored’ and never tag any person in the field ‘who are you with’.It’s been seen that 43% of the fake profiles never update their status while 15% of the real people are shy enough to refrain from posting status messages.
- Tagging: Facebook intended people to use the tag feature so that people can tag the person’s face they are within a particular picture and real people do so. Many pictures containing two or more people are tagged to the respective people but fake users rarely upload any of the pictures and the pictures are usually not the pictures of them with someone but is instead of pictures of random things and in-order to get maximum attention for that picture they tag maximum friends they can. Its been observed that fake users tag an average of 136 people for every 4 photos while a legitimate person tags only once in 4 photos.
- Info: Facebook allows us to enter our info, interests and other things about us. Real people find it interesting to enter their information and make their friends know more about themselves. But the fake users tend to enter the least amount of information possible into these fields. The study reveals that real users fill up to 77% of the total info fields possible while fake users fill only about 35% of the information.
This is well known that they are many fake ids on Facebook and If you are the type of person who likes to make Facebook friends and want to learn how to identify fake profiles do sure to read my next article.