A typewriter may be a machine, or a device with a group of keys that, once ironed, causes the letters printed on the document, typically paper. From the beginning of his invention before 1870 until the 20th century, typewriters were widely utilized by professional writers and workers within the workplace. Since then, the character printer has become a part of the company’s business and become a commercial product worldwide.
Understanding of A Typewriter
Typewriters a printer tool letters or punctuation marks on paper. This machine is equipped with a keyboard. This keyboard has 42-48 symbol letters and each contains two characters. In addition, the keyboard can accommodate 96 characters consisting of capital letters, numbers, lowercase letters, and punctuation. And at this point there are two types of typewriters, namely:
- Conventional Typewriters
- Electric Typewriters
The advantages of electric typewriters were able to save the data. In addition, there are a variety of display fonts and ink ribbons that can remove the wrong typing.
The workings of a conventional typewriter and electric typewriters almost the same. In each letter, the key will be connected with a lever inside. The levers are prints embossed section ends. A roller bearing is used to insert the paper to be typed. The range of carbon ribbon is located in front of the bearing rollers which serves as ink.
When the button is pressed, the letter will move lever pressing carbon ribbons and curled on the pads. Pressure lever that will leave marks on paper in the form of the desired letter. Typewriters are very useful in helping people work more quickly in their time.
A Brief History of Typewriter
If we are typing, of course, we would ask, who exactly was to create a tool that used to replace the work of writing by hand. With the existence of these tools offer, now we can do the work that is writing with good results and faster. A typewriter is a machine or electronic device with a set of buttons that when pressed-button can print a letter or a particular character in a medium, usually paper. From the beginning of his invention before 1870 until the 20th century, typewriters were widely used by professional writers and workers in the office.
Since then, the typewriter has become part of the company’s business and become a commercial product worldwide. Although still popular with some professions, such as author, typewriter functions have been distracted by the presence of other machines. At the end of 1980, word-processing machines and personal computers have replaced the typewriter function in several countries in the western world. However, typewriters are still used in certain countries in the world today.
Typewriters were initially created by a man named Christopher L. Sholes in 1714. Sholes worked with Carlos and Samuel W. Soule Glidden, rough type machine redundantly made more perfect. In 1868 get the “Patent” right, for this discovery, and in 1874 for the first time typewriter on display in the markets, but its on display was still very rough shape and letters still use all capital letters (Capital).
And then in 1877 made a typewriter that uses uppercase and lowercase letters. 13 years later the Remington company was able to make a typewriter that meets the requirements for use in the office. In 1890 type machines flooded offices and companies. From now on that new change occurs, where the clerks to write letters or reports are no longer wearing the hand, but writes with the typed. How can result in getting all the paperwork if we are all done by handwriting? The time that needs longer and better results can be as good as if in working with a typewriter.
The Typewriter Development
Let us pay attention to people who work in finding typewriters. The names listed below are the ones who have contributed to the typewriter when it first began to be offered and the development of the so typewriter repair typewriter as we know it today.
Henry Mill Engineer of the UK in 1714 has been planned can make a typewriter to write, but the plan could not be realized and then in 1899, some people who came from America and they are; Christopher Latham Sholes, Carlos, and Samuel W. Soule, in their hands, is planning to create a model of the type of machine can be realized, and to get a patent from the government. In the 18th century the emergence of machine-typewriter-like. Construction machines tick some of which form the basis of the subsequent creator. In the history of the typewriter may submit multiple inventors/creators, among others:
- Giuseppe Ravizza comes from Germany, wherein 1855, he has found a typewriter using the first band in the world.
- Pelle Grino Turri from Italy in 1855, has contributed to the development of even a typewriter using a tape recording machine so that it can be read easily and clearly.
- Jacob Peterson from Denmark in 1885, who was also one of the people who come to develop improved tools including typewriters.
- Peter Mitter Hofer from Austria in 1964, Finding or creating a typewriter made of wood.
- Carl Von Drais, who was a German in 1820, she has a significant role in the development of tools, so that similar tools popping found, in this case, the machine count. Between the years 1870 – 1900 turned out to be changed were made in models. And to the letters or numbers (digits) contained in typewriter had been ever created include:
- a) Vos, Hall, Hammond, 1880
- b) Blickenderfan, 1893
- c) Daugherty, 1890
- d) Oliver, 1890
Frister and Rossman 1892, Thomas Edison in 1872. It was a typewriter which is run by electricity registered as a patent holder. But in the new application pioneered in 1908 by Blickensdekfer. New electric typewriter in asking the consumer after World War II. In addition to the typewriter inventors above that, there are many more other inventors’ efforts, both from Europe and America. Thus the development of science and technology power output creation scientists and technology, the modernization process continues to run, especially the creation of models of typewriters in the 20th century increasingly sophisticated, well typewriter that works with an electric hand and automatically (electronically), even computers have a lot in use in all areas of its business, as well as in public and private organizations are aware operations using the computer are the keys pliers must be typed or handstamp. Finally, the benefits of this model completeness can keep the beat of the relatively large amount.
The Typewriter Types
Typewriter which used in the offices can be classified into several types based on the following matters; the mechanism or propulsion: Based on the mechanism or how it works (propulsion), the typewriter is divided into three, namely as follows:
- Manual; The workings of this typewriter still employ human hands.
- Electric typewriter (electric); Electric typewriter uses electric power to operate.
- Electronic typewriter; This typewriter is operated by the use of electricity and other electronic components.
The workings of manual and electric typewriters still are mechanical. This means that this machine only works when moved or pressed button. While electronic typewriter already using command buttons or machine language so that the operation is not only at the time the button is pressed but also after the button is pressed.
The Model of Typewriter
A. Various models of typewriters
Below are the models of typewriters that are famous in their time and probably still famous till today in some of the countries in the world, including:
- Typewriter Standard (Standard Typewriter): This species is widely used at the office to type in double folio paper, the shape is rather large and heavy
- Typewriter Portable (Portable Type Writer): The shape is smaller and lighter, and comes with a small bag or suitcase easy to carry.
- Noise Model tests: This does not sound when the model is used, Instant confirmation is used in hospital or office space leadership.
- Electric Model: This model is equipped with the power of electricity using paper rollers to type a letter. This typewriter type 2 ½ times faster than an ordinary typewriter.
- Typewriter distance: Used for typing news from a distance. Description typed through this machine exactly as received on such a typewriter at a distance.
The Size of the typewriter Machine in the length of the carriage is divided into:
- Typewriter carriage: The short carriage measuring 9:11 and 13 inches, where 1 inch 2:54 cm.
- The Typewriter Medium carriage: This typewriter is longer than its body, usually measuring 15, 18, 21, or 24 inches.
- Typewriter carriage length: This typewriter carriage has approximately 2 times the width of the machine the size of 27.36 inches or more.
- Portable Typewriter: The typewriter small in size and lightweight so it can be taken anywhere. This type of machine is equipped with a lid fruit that resembles a small bag
- Typewriter Semi-Flat: The size of a typewriter being and have a more complete component of this type of portable typewriter
- Typewriter Standard: Typewriters large size and weight so difficult to move. Machines of this type of equipment have more perfect than the other two types of typewriters.
B. Typewriter Font Size: The size of a typewriter is distinguished among others:
- Typewriter Lettered Pica (Pica Type): This type of can typewriter to type 1 inch typed contains 10 letters. Model pica letter is rather large, with knowing this typeface, typing can Determine how many tugs were loaded on the hard-wearing.
- Typewriter Lettered Elite (Elite Type): Typewriter font size smaller than the type of pica and each 1 inch typed contains 12 letters. With no quarto, the paper folio will be known how many letters it contains buffeting.
Conclusions and Credits
Henry Mill, an English engineer, was the first person to patent the basic idea of the typewriter in 1714. The first working typewriter known to have been built was the work of Pelle Grino Turri of Italy in 1808. The familiar QWERTY keyboard, developed by Christopher Latham Sholes and Carlos, reached the market in 1874. In 1878 change-case keys were added that enabled the typing of both capital and small letters.
However, when new technologies are created as computers, typewriters have very rarely used mainly. This is because the computer is more powerful and can make the job more quickly completed.
“Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.” By: Thomas Edison.